Have you ever played the game "What If?" You know the one. The one where you sit around with friends and think about and share what you would take from your house if you only had a few moments to choose before you had to evacuate.
I had "that moment" a few weeks ago. There was a wildfire raging about 1/4 of a mile from our house. We could see the flames and the huge plumes of black smoke from our driveway. Daddio was at work and the kids and I were on our way to church for VBS. We were not allowed to leave our subdivision. I was told we might have to evacuate. I have to admit, I was scared! I was scared on many levels. Where would we live if the fire attacked our home? Would we lose everything? How do you pick up the pieces after the devastation of a fire? How do I remain calm and soothe my babies' fears?
When we got back home, I looked around and thought about what I would load into the car if we had to leave. Then, right on cue and as He has done so many times before in my life, God calmed my fears and spoke to my heart. "Seek my face" (Psalms 27: 8-9), He said to me. I sat in the chair with 2 of my babies on my lap and in "that moment", I knew what I would take if we had to evacuate. Nothing. That's it. Just my babies and our pets. The only thing that mattered is that they were safe with me. My God and my family are all I need to go on. While my photographs and family heirlooms are so very precious to me, the truth is that they are just things. Precious memories that I hold in my heart. BUT, they would not help me to rebuild after a fire. My God and my family would do that. Yes, losing those photographs and family heirlooms would be extremely sad, but it would be nothing compared to the devastation of losing my family.
The end of the story is that thankfully the fire was controlled and put out. That day, during that harrowing experience, I was reminded of a great truth. All the treasures I store up here on earth are going to eventually fall away. But NOTHING can destroy my immense love for my God and my family.
Peace.
Loved it! So true-I always said it would be my photos. Thank goodness now I could just grab my photo bag with my cards and still have the last few years anyways-but you are so right-if I couldn't do that they are just things, nothing more precious than my family. Hope you are having a great time. Love ya
ReplyDelete